As part of a wide-reaching WW1 commemoration project, the London Mozart Players, Croydon’s resident orchestra, have been facilitating the visits of newly established primary school choirs to Croydon senior’s homes
As well as preparing Jonathan Dove’s new commission For an Unknown Soldier, the children of Atwood Primary Academy, Croydon Parish Church Juniors, Ecclesbourne Primary Academy and Monks Orchard Primary, have also been learning old wartime songs, and creating their own variations of them to sing to residents of local care homes. Repertoire includes Wish Me Luck, It’s a long way to Tipperary and other familiar tunes.
The choir of Monks Orchard Primary School performed at Elizabeth Court on Wednesday 1st October, which also happened to be International Older People’s Day.
The ‘Coffee Concerts’ which have come to be known as WW1 Songs Remembered and Shared, are an important part of the project for several reasons. They are providing an important performance opportunity for the schools in the lead up to the main concert on the 14th November, and they are also encouraging the children to engage creatively with a bygone era.
LMP at St John’s
St John the Evangelist
London, SE19 2RX
Registered No: 8882717
Registered Charity No. 290833
020 8686 1996
FOLLOW LMP ON TWITTER
JOIN THE LMP FACEBOOK FAMILY
Latest LMP News
- LMP receive new ACE Catalyst grantThursday, 18 January, 2018 - 4:17 pm
- LMP reinvents itself ‘triumphantly’Friday, 12 January, 2018 - 12:38 pm
- Neville Osrin appointed new Chairman of London Mozart Players Orchestra LtdWednesday, 10 January, 2018 - 12:22 pm
- LMP Christmas Treble 2017 Audition Sign upFriday, 27 October, 2017 - 9:58 am
- LMP on the Move Concert Series wins at Croydon Business AwardsFriday, 13 October, 2017 - 12:07 pm